Monday, January 14, 2008

Capital of Culture opening weekend


Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture began in earnest this weekend with two eye-catching events. They were both designed with the media in mind to grab the headlines and provide some photo opportunities.

On Friday "the people's opening" was a show in front of St George's Hall. Liverpool people tuned up in their thousands to see the fireworks, the aerial ballet, the performers and the the music. Many were there to see Ringo Starr whose song "Liverpool 8" became the anthem of the night.
I was hugely impressed with the event. It was so well organised and produced. As so often happens in Liverpool. the people were the stars.
I wasn't so impressed with Ringo. His mimed performance wasn't about Liverpool, it was about himself. When he sang, "Liverpool, I left you, but I never let you down", we almost believed him. Almost but not quite.

On Saturday the new Liverpool Arena was officially opened with an event called "Liverpool the Musical". This was two hours of music and dance with stunning visuals. the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra were magnificent. Each performer was in a capsule at the back of the stage, bathed in blue light. Musicians who impressed me included The Farm and Gary Christian.


The audience was full of celebrities, with two McGanns, Les Dennis, Cathy Tyson, Kenny Dalglish, Peter Reid, David Morrisey, Sue Johnston, Claire Sweeney and Gerry Marsden all sitting near to where I was.

I had the same gripe about Ringo Starr and I had on the Friday. When we were told to "stand up for Ringo" and calls of "Ringo for President" rang out from the stage I for one thought, "no, this is Liverpool's night". But Liverpool still loves its Fab Four.


The Capital of Culture year began well and I think everyone in the city now has confidence of its success. How will success be measured? I hope it will be an increased confidence of the city in itself as a prominent European city. Not really English but firmly European, on the edge of the continent geographically and yet central to its aspirations and identity. I hope success will also be measured in Kingdom terms: that we should be a city conforming more and more to the purposes of God: kinder, fairer, more trusting and more rooted in the love of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Telefone VoIP, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-voip.blogspot.com. A hug.